Celebrating 150 years of Catholic faith and heritage since 1866, Holy Name Cemetery in Jersey City, was established to meet the needs of the community’s Catholic families. The historic Hudson County cemetery occupies 63 acres and is surrounded by a combination of small businesses and single-family residences.
Holy Name Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Jersey City with approximately 264,000 burials. A section of the cemetery is dedicated to the burial of priests and nuns who served in the city’s Roman Catholic parishes and parochial schools.
The cemetery’s striking landscape is marked with many elaborately-carved stone monuments. It is also the final sacred resting place to many notable Catholics. Among these are former Jersey City Mayor (1917-1947) Francis “Frank” Hague, former state Senator Thomas Cowan, Justice Marie Garibaldi, who was the first woman appointed to the New Jersey Supreme Court, Frank Sinatra’s grandparents’ mausoleum, Robert Hopkins, a crew member in charge of life boat #13 of the ill-fated Titanic, four other Titanic survivors with ties to Hudson County, and many Hudson County veterans from as far back as the Spanish American and Civil Wars.
In 2005, the first community garden mausoleum with 1,300 crypts was added. Made of solid granite and nearly the length of a football field, the building’s beautiful architectural features include five gabled and gated alcoves with recessed panels topped with decorative granite motifs and walls in varying granite colors. The artistic garden mausoleum is a structure like no other in a congested urban area.
A magnificent two-story chapel mausoleum constructed in 2010 stands with a church-like presence on West Side Avenue. The neoclassical granite structure is adorned with decorative carvings that are reminiscent of a beautiful and subtly colorful tapestry. Skylights allow for plentiful light which creates a comforting place for prayer and reflection. The chapel mausoleum also features numerous original works of liturgical art including brilliant stained glass windows and an ornate, two-story mosaic highlighting the classic monogram for the Holy Name (IHS), the first three letters of the name of Jesus (IHSUS) in the Greek alphabet. Saints who have been promoters of devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus during the church’s history also are depicted.
The cornerstone of the mausoleum’s decorative theme is a suite of windows rescued from Saint Boniface Parish Church in Jersey City, a parish community established in the early 1860s to serve the large German population of lower Jersey City. The stained glass windows, completed in 1896, were designed by a glass studio in Austria. Each window was given to the parish by either a family or organization of the Saint Boniface Parish community.
Holy Name Cemetery and Mausoleum is open daily from 9:00am to 4:30pm and is located at 823 West Side Avenue in Jersey City.